Racism and Harold Ford

His loss in the Tennessee Senate race taught a bad lesson. Quite simply, if he were white, he would have won.


For almost a day now, I've been stewing over Harold Ford. I wasn't particularly rooting for him, given that I agree with only about 30% of anything I've ever heard him say. I also question the house logic that a Ford victory would have represented some sort of great achievement for African-Americans. Even if he won, the sun would still come up; we'd still have to deal with dumb bosses, intractable kids and spouses who talk past us. So I was apathetic about a Ford victory. But it's hard to take him losing like this. I'm skeptical of anyone who pins their misfortune exclusively on the color of their skin. But in Harold Ford's case, the awful truth is simple: if he were white, he would have won.

source

Tags: stewing | rooting | misfortune | intractable | apathetic | victory | TRUTH | SPOUSES | sort | skeptical | represented | pins | losing | logic | kids | given | exclusively | dumb | BOSSES | awful | achievement | Tennessee | racism | harold | Ford | African-Americans

Sphere: Related Content

No comments: